Saturday, August 21, 2010

What is your biggest problem regarding black powder hunting?

I think the biggest problem in muzzle loader hunting is that most people do not take the time to practice. Many shooters I know just assume that it is the same as shooting a rifle. They take shots at moving game, and do not follow through on the shot. One needs to understand the difference between the majority of today's high velocity hunting rounds being used in the open country and the slow speed of the average muzzle loader round. If all hunters treated the muzzle loader more like a bow, and less like a rifle, this issue would go away all together. Is a modern in-line muzzle loader capable of 200 yard shots....yes, at standing game. Are the majority of shooters out there capable of shooting 200 yards without a scope......no.What is your biggest problem regarding black powder hunting?
Pulling the bullet and powder after not seeing a deer all day. Ties with cleaning the damn thing.What is your biggest problem regarding black powder hunting?
Bow-hunters!





Our muzzleloader season and archery season overlap.


They get upset when I shoot the muzzleloader in an area they are hunting.


They seem to think they are the ONLY ones allowed to hunt!!


(One even complained when I was shooting on MY property where HE was TRESPASSING!! Especially since his attitude caused me to have him arrested for trespassing!)
My biggest problem is that even if I put Saran Wrap over the nipple, it seems like every time I take out the old smoke pole, there comes a hard rain. And not just a rain, but a regular chunk-washer that's sure to soak my cap. And forget it with a flintlock! That brings weather nobody's seen since Noah.
idiots letting their dogs loose and chasing off my deer.
Cleaning the muzzle loader afterwards. lol
Not owning enough.





Edit;


I see some here don鈥檛 know some ways to make using BP guns less problematic.





To prevent a percussion cap from getting wet is simple. You can use a candle and let drops of wax seal it. Or you can buy this;


http://www.kitterytradingpost.com/produc鈥?/a>


and seal off the cap and the bore.


You can seal it off with Vaseline or grease (not on revolvers), although wax works far better (ok for revolvers). Grease over the loaded balls to prevent chain fire and keep it dry. Or again use a tad of melted wax.


So that problem can be solved.





The problem with having a loaded BP gun at the end of the day can be resolved also.


Just use this to blow out the powder charge and ball safely into the dirt or a pile of rags.


http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa鈥?/a>


I just discharge my gun in the field as I clean it anyway when I get home.





Cleaning a BP gun is easy. This nasty residue of BP can be washed out with hot water, dried and then oiled. Takes me less than 5 minutes to clean the barrels of a double barrel BP shotgun this way.





Most problems with BP guns are lack of knowledge. But keeping the flash pan of a flintlock dry is difficult in the rain. I use a piece of waterproof oiled canvas as a cover over the hammer and frizzen/pan. A little trick I learned is to have a small plastic bottle with just enough powder to prime the pan ready and prime it only when you鈥檙e ready for a shot. As long as you kept the pan covered from rain you can quickly pour the powder in the pan and fire. The bottle keeps the powder dry. If its pouring down rain then used a stand with some type of cover above you. I made a umbrella similar to this;


http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa鈥?/a>


by camouflaging a collapsible one that I can set up over me.





As they say were there is a will there is a way!

No comments:

Post a Comment